Monday, August 2, 2010

Across the Pond


What an exciting time for my Matthew.  He has been "across the Pond" in Europe for 3 weeks now and I miss his horribly.  I am sure he is relishing in the excitement of it all.  He left for his adventure on July 15th, for a 5 week backpacking excursion throughout Europe.  I will admit I am excited for him to be experiencing this although I am saddened to see him spread his wings becoming more and more independent. 

Tomorrow is Matthew's 19th birthday and he will be celebrating in the beautiful city of Rome Italy.  Matthew phoned me today to tell me of his visit to Vatican City in Rome.  In his own words "Mom. it was totally amazing".  He said it was extraordinary beyond belief.  He said the Sistine Chapel was breathtaking with all of the historical paintings.  He said there was history all around him and he has learned alot and experienced as much.  God, I wish I was there to experience the wonder of it all.  In spirit, I was standing right beside him.  I wonder if he felt my presence. 

Matthew has been keeping touch with us through Facebook messages and brief phone calls.  I can not wait for him to come home so he can elaborate more on his adventure.  It is so hard to hear it all on a phone call that only last a few moments but I can hear it in his voice.  This is an experience of a lifetime and I am so glad he has had this chance to experience life this was even if it is only for a few short weeks.  I can not wait to learn all about the places he has been, what he has seen, the foods he has tasted and the people he has met along the way.  He has already been to London, Paris, Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid and Rome and he is on his way back to Paris, Brussels, Germany, Amsterdam, and then back to London, then home to Charlotte.  So far, that is the plan but Matt and his friends are being spontaneous along the way.  Ahhh, to be young again!

I will close this entry for now as it is the early morning hours.  Stay tuned for more on Matthew's European adventure.  Maybe I will ask Matt to be a guest Blogger.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Matthew.  I will be thinking about you today as I do everyday.  I love you.  Be safe.
Godspeed, My Son.

Matthew getting ready to head to the airport. 






Saying Good-bye to Brother.
Matthew and Hannah....  Awww.
All ready with Passport in hand.
Last minute Wisdom from Dad.
Until we meet again.  God Speed.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails